Monday, July 5, 2010

Paris again

Ok, so after two weeks in Paris, I have done tons of stuff! Here is a list.

Museums visited -- 10: Louvre - art, Versailles, Pompidou - modern art, Jewish Art and History, Orangerie - late 19th and early 20th century art, Rodin - sculpture, Cluny - medieval art, Orsay - art, Natural History, and the Museum of Evolution.

Other sights and activities: outside of Notre-Dame (too crowed to get in, but don't worry I have a whole week left), Rick Steves guided walking tour around the Left Bank, relaxing in the Luxembourg garden, shopping at an open market, and eating lost of rich and tasty French food.

Since I can't possibly do tell you about all of it I will just show you the highlights of my pics.

First dinner at the Louvre, which is the first picture on this blog. I had a lovely cheese plate as you can see above. I also like the second pic directly below it, because you can see the top of the huge pyramid in the background marking the entrance to the Louvre. I saw such great works as the Venus de Milo, Winged Victory (my favorite), and the Mona Lisa. Why are there no pics of this you ask? Well, photography was allowed without a flash, however...everyone completely ignored that rule, and millions of flashes were going off all around me damaging the art more and more as the minutes rolled on!...so I decided not to add to the rape of the artwork with my camera in any way shape or form. I was too disgusted. Aren't you glad you asked?

The third pic is me in front of a large statue in front of the Muse de Orsay. There are six of these representing different areas of the world; I am in front of "Africa." You'll notice that I am a wearing a large black boot on my right leg. For those of you who may not know, about 10 days before this trip I found out that I had a stress fracture in the 3rd metatarsal of my foot. I got this stress fracture from changing the way I run. I blame "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. I loved loved loved loved that book and I will continue to go back to the running principles I learned from this book as soon as my foot heals properly. Anyway, the fourth pic with Scott and a giant version of on of Van Gogh's self portrait is one of my favorites because, *smirk,* Scott looks like Van Gogh.

Fifth we have the beautiful pic of me...and the Notre-Dame cathedral. :) Next...


The last two pics (6&7) are from the Rodin museum. Guess what?! Rodin is considered the best sculptor since Michelangelo! That's quite a compliment! I do LOVE his sculpture, so I took a few pics outside in the gardens, and a couple inside too, sans flash. He is considered an impressionist sculptor, so his works look unfinished on purpose. He was looking to create the feeling of energy movement and life in his statues. If you'll notice, there is a feeling of restlessness and tension in his work, and I think that is so cool! Rodin's art is my new art "discovery" on this trip. I always have room to love some new art!



6) Me and The Thinker











7) Does anyone else think these guys need to be in a Beyonce video? "oh oh oh...if you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it..."

Maddux OUT!












No comments:

Post a Comment