Friday, July 2, 2010

Paris reflections

What to say about Paris....I love it here. I have to admit that it's taken me this long to post because I've been reluctant to come out of my fantasy land and admit that I'm not staying. Don't get me wrong, I really miss my friends; it's an odd dichotomy to want to be with your friends and a part of your community, but wish to utterly escape your life at home at the same time. I love the people here, I love the language, the art, the food...I am at home and at peace here. However, that may just be because I do not have the same responsibilities and demands on my time here as I do at home. Is this what vacation is like? If so, I am totally spoiled. To disappear into a totally foreign experience - a whole new culture, is so liberating. I find myself less afraid to be myself.

So what have I seen so far? Well, many many sights, and museums, which I will list in another post, but my favorite things are always just sitting in a cafe enjoying an espresso while people watching, or trying to talk to someone who knows less English than I do French, or just sitting in a shady spot in a garden reading or knitting. Is it okay that I'm not including any pics in this particular Paris post? I will post pics and get into what touristy things I have seen, but in the mean time I am loving just blending in to Parisian society -- buying fresh fruit at the open market, going to the local organic food store for breakfast or lunch, doing laundry, and smiling when someone starts to talk to me in French. (That means that they don't know I'm not French *smile*)

Scott and I eat at least one meal at the same restaurant, Le Diplomat, every day. The wait staff there already knows our faces and greets us warmly when we walk in the door. (No, it's not a sushi restaurant...I know it's shocking) We walk down the same streets every day, away from the tourist crowds...I love coming "home" to that every night. I do wish I could live here. More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment