Thursday, June 17, 2010

Adelaide, Austraila

After such a harsh experience at the end of the China portion of our journey, landing in Adelaide, Australia was like landing on a different planet. We could understand what people said, and they smiled. The weather was much improved as well with the sun shining, and temps hovering around 100 degrees F. In those small ways, it was like coming home.

Adelaide was a near perfect match for me: sun...check, warm/hot most of the year...check, big city that feels like a small town...check, green...check, culture...check, foodie places to eat...check, WINE COUNTRY...double check! Scott and I really like Australian wines, and the National Wine Center is there in Adelaide. Naturally we had to pay it a visit. Of course we picked the day it got up to 115 to make the 40 minute walk from our hostel. Not our smartest move, but we learned a thing or two in the museum there and had a very tasty tasting of premium wines that we probably won't ever be able to afford...good times.

There weren't a ton of sites to see in Adelaide, it was just a nice place to be. We stayed in a very comfortable hostel, so we made our own food in the community kitchen. That meant that I got to spend some of my time during the day a giant market of fresh food. In my opinion, it was every bit as good as the Nashmarkt in Vienna.
We also went to a local church on Sunday morning, and we were greeted warmly by the members. We stayed after the service and had some coffee and conversation with the nice people we met.

Last but not least, Adelaide's best feature...beaches! Our most memorable evening was spent on Gleneg beach. We witnessed an absolutely breathtaking sunset. When I am trying to close my eyes and relax, I remember Gleneg beach with Scott. It has become my happy place!
Adelaide has been added to our list of places we would like to live overseas if the opportunity presented itself. I realize that this post could be a bit boring for the reader, and I'm sorry about that. I have to admit that I have had a hard time communicating in writing how fondly I remember our time in Adelaide. Enjoy the rest of our beach pics!







No comments:

Post a Comment